Friday, March 9, 2012

If I haven't ever mentioned it before, I will again now. I. Love. to. Cook. I mean absolutely love it! Except for the clean up part and the having to wait patiently for the delicious smelling food to be done BUT other than that I love it.

Cody was gone earlier this week for work and last night I decided I would make him an amazing dinner, better than the restaurants that he has been eating at. For his birthday instead of a cake he always asks for pumpkin ice cream so of course I made that, it is almost gone already and it has barely been 24 hours since I made it.

He also loves and I mean LOVES steak and potatoes. Rib eye steaks were my poison of choice for last night. I wanted to make them extra special so of course I called my dinner Dr. (my mom, she is a walking cook book!) and she told me I needed to brown them and then put the entire pan in the oven to finish cooking, just like how they do it in restaurants. Ellie was being a good little helper until it was time to pull them out of the oven. She started really crying while sitting in her bumbo on the counter.

Any one who knows me knows that I am not a very skilled multi-tasker. At all. I just can't think about more than one thing at once. As I have the pan on the counter I am trying to calm her down by talking to her and looking at her while thinking about needing to move the steaks so they don't stick. Not a good idea. I completely grabbed the handle of the pan while I was looking the other way. I didn't realize what was going on until I turned my head to see that I had a good grip on it. Lets just say the next 15 minutes were spent bouncing a baby with one arm and the other hanging out under the coldest stream of water the faucet would allow.

 It didn't blister, thank heavens! And dinner still turned out great! We also had caramelized onions to put on top of the steak, mashed potatoes, and baked zucchini that turned out AMAZING and with no oil! I got the recipe from Here.





Look at that ice cream! Doesn't your mouth just water looking at that?! Yes, that is a 9 by 13 pan and NO we didn't eat it all by ourselves. But I may or may not have eaten a piece for breakfast.

On a non food related note, we finally have our new computer up and running. We have only ever had our two lap tops, mine died in June this past year and over the last couple months Cody's has been slowly dying as well. I never thought I could love a screen that was only 8 inches smaller than my TV but I do. Everything is so much larger, if I didn't feel old before I sure do now.

In preparing my lesson for Sunday, I found a quote that I absolutely love.

"Leave people better than you found them."
-Marvin J Ashton

Tonight Ellenor and I will enjoy a girls night that will include some chocolate dipped strawberries while Cody is on a scout camp out. He is sure missing out!

No comments:

Post a Comment