Almost every girl says that they have the best mom in the world. But the truth is they are all wrong. Except my sisters because WE have the best mom. I was just reading over old blog posts from this year. If you ever read this post then you would know I was having tough time thinking that our baby would not be special to anyone but us.
Well I know that my baby is loved and that I am loved. Not only by Cody but by my parents, especially my mom. On Thanksgiving day she was headed home from being with my sister in Iowa. She was in Minnesota at a friends house for the afternoon before she was to catch a flight back to Alaska. My mom had been away from home and from my dad for two weeks. I called her as we left my in-laws to tell her that my water had broke. She told us to just let her know because there was only one flight to Salt Lake City and it left in two hours time.
We got checked into the hospital and gave her a call. Without hesitation she said she was on her way. I didn't know that day what she had to do to be able to get to Burley on time. When she got to the airport she had 30 minutes before the doors closed and the flight left. There was a huge line to get through security, there would have been no way to make the flight. She explained to a guard that her daughter was in labor and HAD to make the flight but he dismissed her to the back of the line. My amazing mother talked her whole way through the line, barely made her flight, and then got in a car and made the drive in about 2 hours time (it usually takes about 3 1/2 hours) just to be able to be there for me.
Ellenor had to be kept under the blue lights at the hospital for two nights. The first night that we had that bed in my room it was really emotional and hard for me. I knew she was fine and that my baby was healthy but I just could not stop crying. My mom and Cody both stayed at the hospital. Ellenor wouldn't sleep unless someone was touching her, even if it was just her foot because she would startle and wake herself up. Cody and my mom switched off being awake with her so that I could sleep.
We got home on Sunday and Cody was to go back to work on Monday. My parents had a trip to Hawaii planned and they were supposed to leave Monday, the very next day. On Sunday night my mom had to make a decision to either leave the next day to make her trip or to send my dad without her. She could see that I was struggling. Ellie was not eating at all and I was scared because she had lost so much weight. Instead of heading off to Hawaii to bask in the sun and enjoy the beach, she stayed in cold Burley, Idaho to help me with my brand new baby.
She said she felt useless after a day or so because I was becoming more confident. But just being able to have time with my mom was amazing. It wasn't anything special, just mostly time at home relaxing and cooking. She wouldn't even let me do dishes!
It was such a relief to have someone to confide in when I was completely clueless. She even came back a week later and brought my dad for a few days. While we were in Utah for Christmas she would just hold her any time and actually offer to change her diaper. Who does that?! Not even Cody does! (Don't worry, he does change them willingly, just doesn't always offer) It is just amazing to me how much love she shows our daughter, I know she is sad to live so far away.
I had my first night alone with Ellie the other day while Cody was away for work. I called for something else and ended up talking to my mom for a while expressing how nervous I was to spend the night alone with our baby. It wasn't anything big or extravagant but just knowing that when she said that if I was scared or needed anything that I could call her any time of the night. And she meant it.
Ok, enough of my rant. My mother is amazing and I love her and you should be completely jealous. End of Story.
it's true... your mom is pretty amazing!!
ReplyDelete