I have had quite a few discussions about nursing and breastfeeding with many different people lately and I might as well jot down a few of my thoughts about the subject. A fair warning, it may be too much information for some. IF you decided to keep reading I at least gave you fair warning.
Before Ellenor was born I decided that I would at least nurse until she was 6 months old. A lot of people talk about how nursing is the only way to go. When she was born she would not nurse and only take a bottle. I found offense in women who didn't have children and never experienced the constant fight for weeks trying to get your baby to nurse because they learned in a birthing class or read in a book that every woman can and should.
It was really tough and I felt like I was a bad mother because I couldn't even feed my own child. My chest was so large that I could not find a nursing bra that would fit. I finally found just a regular one but it was so large it was depressing. After a few weeks she finally caught on to the whole nursing thing and we were good to go. We would have to plan everything around her eating schedule because I had to completely strip down just to feed her. The first few months I would feed her in the car during church because I was so embarrassed.
It was really difficult. Not only did I feel uncomfortable, especially in my back, but I felt left out of everything because I had to excuse myself for almost 45 minutes just to feed my child.
This is a lot longer than I was intending... But once we switched her to formula at four months old I started to feel a lot better about myself. I didn't have to worry about mutual being longer than anticipated because she wasn't at home crying and starving. Eating didn't take nearly as long and I didn't have to spend half of my day half undressed and exposed. We could drive down to Twin Falls (45 minutes away) and feed her in the store if our errands were taking longer than expected. Cody got to have more intimate time with her while giving her a bottle, she used to rub his face and hands.
Overall nursing just did not work for me or my family. I have been given grief for it by some that I chose to stop nursing because its best thing for babies. But I don't believe in our situation that was the case. I have nothing against nursing and I hope none take offense to this. I hope for our next child that I will be able to have a much better experience with nursing because it is something that I would like to do again.
Totally know what you mean about finding a nursing bra. i knew i had to find a big one since my bra size was already big. luckily motherhood maternity had some that worked. if we hadn't found those going out would have been impossible.
ReplyDeletei think lots of people that nursing comes to easily and their baby is good at it too don't realize how hard it can be for others. Kenneth wasn't easy at first but things did get better. thankfully.
props to you for making it four months even though it was hard for you.
you tell those haters back off! :) though i'm not anti-nursing, nor pro-bottle (or vice versa), and i have my strong opinions. i have heard so often that 'only real women breastfeed' and 'breastfeeding is the healthiest for your baby' bla bla bla i'm sure you've heard it all. it drives me nuts! i believe you can certainly be a real woman without breastfeeding. my own mother bottle fed her four adopted infants, and we turned out just fine. so, props to you, jayme and cody, for knowing what's best for your family.
ReplyDeleteHoly cow! Our experiences were so so similar. I also had to use a nipple shield because we couldnt ever get it down. I envy people that can feed fast and discreetly. There was no such thing for me. I was so nervous about switching to formula but i am so glad i did. I made it almost 9 months, but the last two or three were so stressful! I wasnt making enough anymore after trying to lose weight and he was eating all day. Im so glad i switched! Why arent we more open about these things!? Im sure we could have helpedeach other out.....oh well! Next time right?
ReplyDelete