"We would do well to slow down a little, proceed at the optimum speed for
our circumstances, focus on the significant, lift up our eyes, and
truly see the things that matter most." -Dieter F. Uchtdorf
Life has been busy lately and this video was meant for me. I think, no I know, that I try to do too much. I do not proceed at optimum speed for my circumstance, I try to proceed far above it. I am already nervous for this fall semester to come. I am only taking 13 credits but all hard classes while trying to be the best young womens leader that I can be, the best mother, wife, and person that I know how to be.
Tonight we had friends over for dinner. It was low key, not stressful at all. Especially since I convinced Cody to make his AMAZING fajitas. But afterwards we really didn't worry about dishes or anything like that. We took a few blankets out to the front lawn and relaxed. We talked, laughed at their dog trying to get a stick that was way to high up in the tree, and let the babies wander all over the grass. I didn't worry about Ellenor eating the grass (a new hobby of hers that we have recently discovered). I didn't worry about getting the dishes done or getting food ready for tomorrow. I was able to focus on the significant, focus on building relationships and genuinely enjoyed watching my daughter explore.
I think too often I focus on what others are doing that I am not. It is something that I am learning not to do nearly as much and its a never ending process. I am learning more and more everyday to focus on what matters most to me. I could care less about how decorated my house looks or how many crafts I can get done in one week, they just don't hold significance for me. I am enjoying this summer being able to slow down, even though it has been pretty busy and July is lined up to be the busiest of all.
I guess the point of this post is just a reminder to myself to not take little moments for granted. They are ones that we will never get back. Don't take on more than I have strength for and don't try to focus on things that are not significant to me. Take more time to watch Cody and Ellenor's relationship grow every day instead of running out of the room when he plays with her to get something else done. Delight more in the fact that he is the most amazing father to the most perfect daughter. My daughter.
Don't take Ellenor for granted. She is the best blessing in our lives and I don't focus on that fact nearly as much as I should. My actions are sometimes geared towards her being more of a burden and I know that I have my priorities backwards when I start to think like that.
One last quote from the same talk, "

Thanks Jayme!
ReplyDelete