Thursday, February 28, 2013

  
15 Lessons I've Learned from my 15 Month Old



Always wake up happy. It’s a new day with a fresh start, you get to make it anything you want. Why not start it off right?!

There's no use in fighting a nap, if your tired then sleep! Ellenor is amazing with nap times and usually bed time. I ask her if she is ready for a nap and she walks straight to the counter where her pacifier is. If I don’t ask she will usually walk into her room and tap on her crib until I come.

Sometimes all you can do is shake your head and laugh. 

Everyone deserves to see you smile, even if you don't think they deserve it or don’t feel like you can. You never know when a simple smile will turn someone’s day around and its painless and free.

Kissing random things isn't always a bad thing, be grateful for the simple things every day.

Cleaning can be fun, especially when you have a little helper. Not to mention it makes you feel great to sit in a freshly clean room to play.

Learning and organizing can be fun to. I get to learn when Ellie is asleep but over the last few weeks I have noticed that I don’t give her the opportunities to learn in different ways. She loves to match shapes and color with crayons. But sometimes dumping out the crayons and reorganizing them is more fun.

Staying mad for a long time is pointless. I love that kids forgive so easily. I can tell her no, she throws a fit on the floor, we talk about why to not get into something and move on to a new activity. 
There is no point in postponing solving the issue, take care of it then and there and be done.

Being outside can be healing and therapeutic. We are loving this 40 degree weather we have had the past week. Any chance we get we go outside. Yesterday was not a very good day for me, I got a terrible grade on a test that I had put so much effort into. We decided to go for a walk and what a difference that made. Even just playing in the yard or walking to the mailbox is good.




Doing something you love repeatedly isn’t necessarily bad. Whether it is reading your favorite book or movie, or in Ellie’s case dumping out the Costco size of animal crackers over and over again, it’s ok. If it is something you enjoy and makes you happy then what is the harm? Especially if it takes two seconds to vacuum up.

Getting dressed first thing in the morning makes you have a better attitude. I notice such a big difference when I get Ellie dressed in the morning instead of after her first nap, she is much more happy. Getting up and getting ready for the day first thing makes you feel like at least you’ve accomplished something and usually helps me have a better attitude throughout the day.

Random kisses never hurt anyone. Letting someone know you care or are thinking about them never hurt anyone. Ellie has started randomly giving kisses throughout the day and I am loving it. It reminds me to always let the people I care about know that.

Sometimes you just need to relax and snuggle and that's ok.

It’s ok to throw in the towel and ask for help. When Ellenor is done eating she will usually throw her silverware on the floor before she says she’s done and needs help getting out. It’s ok to admit your overwhelmed or just need a moment and need help. I sometimes have a hard time asking Cody to play with Ellie for a few minutes because I need to breath but its ok.

Make anything your doing fun. Cody taught Ellie how to take her diaper and throw it away a few weeks ago. She gets so excited to throw them away even if they are absolutely disgusting. No matter what we are doing we can make it fun, like a game, or even just rewarding.




1 comment:

  1. ellie is seriously fifteen months!? tell her to stop growing! she is such a sweetie, i can't wait to see her again!

    ReplyDelete