I may be partial to this time of year because of the opportunity to celebrate some of my favorite people's birthdays. But it really is my favorite time of year. To make it absolutely perfect we need a few feet of snow on the ground and the northern lights and we'd be set.
This past weekend we set up our Christmas tree and decorations. I love how simple they all are and the memories that they bring. We bought our tree two years ago when we were poor and living in Rexburg. I was so disappointed about not being able to have a Christmas tree and it had me down for a few days. I think it was a Christmas bonus from work that was unexpected and Cody let me but a decent size tree and pick out matching ornaments. I always loved plain trees with silver and red because of what the colors represent and it helps focus on what the tree is really a reminder of. And a giant red bow just looks amazing at the top of the tree!
Growing up my mom had soooo many nativities! One year we counted over 150 and not all the boxes were even out of the garage!!! I love that each one has a different story and they are from all over the world! I still think the one from Mexico with pins sticking out of their heads is a little odd... As each of us get married we get to choose one of her nativities to display in our homes. I chose the olive wood from the Middle East and I love it! I love that it is all wood but also that they don't have faces because it allows you to imagine the expression of joy that would have been on their faces as they greeted the Christ child for the very first time. The nativity on the top shelf is one that Cody made when he was in scouts as a wee little lad!
We took Ellenor to the festival of trees and to my surprise were greeted with a Santa! He was so nice and Ellie really didn't mind at all. I like Santas that are nice and old and actually are happy to be there. We have such a friendly daughter and she is always so nice to everyone... Well so far at least.
The holidays are already so much more fun this year now that we can involve Ellie more and more. It is a little obnoxious to keep a constant eye out for the trees safety but I can't help but love that she gets so excited to see it all lit up first thing in the morning. I am excited to be able to teach her about the Christ spirit that fills this time of year and about service. Nothing makes the season more meaningful than serving others and I am so grateful to be able to repay kindness in even the smallest of ways.




ugh! i hate being one of those poor rexburg people! ha! but for real, that's us. last year we didn't have a tree and it sucked. and i can't believe ellie is so big! i love those nativities. maybe it's a mom thing because mikie's mom loves nativities too. we had a nativity tree skirt. the end.
ReplyDeleteYour tree is beautiful! I so want to do something like that a nice plain tree with simple ornaments and then have another tree with the mismatched random ones. :) Also love the nativities!!!!!!
ReplyDeletewow, your tree is gorgeous!!
ReplyDelete