Sunday, January 20, 2013

When I was pregnant with Ellenor I had this image of how motherhood really was. We would snuggle and take naps together and of course no one has problems with eating. What I learned was hard to swallow, motherhood is not at all what you can imagine. When you think you finally got a handle on one thing something else isn't working and you have to adjust.

Everyone seems to think they know best and have their theories on how a child should be raised or how any situation should be handled. As a newborn it wasn't nearly as bad because they really only eat and sleep. As Ellenor is getting older I've noticed a lot of different techniques and ways to parent a child. But I've learned something much more important than anything I could read in a book or watch a video on.

What I've learned is that the best way to raise my child isn't to have her on a strict schedule from a book or force her to do this or that at a certain time of day. It isn't a specific technique or parenting style but rather to trust my own gut and do what I feel is best for my children. Being well informed and educated allows me to make the best decisions for our family. The best way for me to be a parent I for me to trust my gut and do what I feel is best and not be embarrassed by my decision. A lot of people think that they have figured out how to be a good parent but that is a parent to their kids.

The best way for me to be the best mom that I can is to be confident in my decisions no matter the feedback from others. This doesn't mean I'm going to make my kids sleep in a cocoon hanging from the ceiling. But just because I don't do things the way Sally down the road doesn't make me a bad parent (I've really wanted to meet a Sally or a Susie !). I'm doing the best job I can do as a mom and that is all I can do. I am confident and content with my parenting because I am doing the best I can and that is good enough.



No comments:

Post a Comment