Monday, April 29, 2013



Oh tantrums!
We definitely have a toddler in this house, if you don’t believe me come and watch one of her fits. Ellenor is at that stage where she knows what she wants but can’t quite always tell us yet. Most of the time she is great to show you by pulling your finger and dragging you behind her but other times you ask what she wants and she just melts onto the floor.

Today has been no exception. I had an ultra sound this morning and she played at grandma’s house. She didn’t want to leave but came home and took a nap just fine. This afternoon was great, we ate lunch, played, and got some really good snuggling time in. She was in desperate need of a nap and after 45 minutes of fighting it I decided to at least turn on a movie for some quiet down time. We both fell asleep for a good 45 minutes, a much needed nap for both of us but when she got off the couch she just melted.

She throws herself face first onto the floor and twitches. Sometimes its just the legs, others it’s a whole body wiggle all the while either screaming or letting out quick unpleasant grunts. She moves in circles while keeping her face smashed into the carpet.

At first we just left her where she was and ignored them hoping she would stop if we didn’t pay any attention. That didn’t work. No everytime she starts one we put her in the same spot to calm down. Usually she will last a few minutes and when she starts to calm down I can go and talk to her and she is fine. Not today.

Today she screamed for a good 25 minutes. It started in the living room and when I got up to take her to the designated calm down spot she immediately moved there without my help. If her crying calmed I would try to talk to her and ask her what she needed but she would just go limp and throw herself back onto the floor to scream.

Lets just say her tantrums are hard to deal with. Maybe its mean to say but there is a reward that comes along with them. She gives great big hugs and just melts into my arms. After feeling like I have no idea what I am doing and that nothing is working a hug counts as a reward.







If anyone has any advice for tantrums please share! Hopefully before we lose our minds over here.

2 comments:

  1. I don't have any tantrum advice, but thanks or posting the pictures of her tantrum! She cracks me up. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This happens to Brielle a lot too, and has for the past 8 months or so. I haven't been able to see a pattern or anything, she just gets so emotional and starts "raging" (that's what I call it). Hang in there! We go through it too. The one thing I think, at least for Brielle, is that she just FEELS things so deeply and can't handle all the emotion and needs to let it out. I know she is a deeply emotional little girl, and has the capacity for great compassion because of it, but sometimes I think that she pays a price...and tantrums "rages" because of it. Good luck! I have found that if I take something to do together (like a coloring book) and sit just a little away from her while she screams, sometimes it will distract her out or it and she is able to pull herself together. Maybe try that.

    ReplyDelete