Wednesday, January 29, 2014



I have a two year old. The only way I make it through the day is knowing that my knight in shining armor will come and rescue me at the end of the day (rescue in our house means play with her in another room so I can breathe). Most days we do just fine and we get along great. Except lately.

I am struggling so much right now with raising this girl. She is so much fun and we can laugh and have the best time but in an instant she can be throwing the biggest fit. Hitting and screaming at the top of her lungs. At least she doesn’t know how to say hateful things yet!

Today was not a good day in the parenting book. I yelled, walked out of the room as she was crying out for mom, ignored her pleas and whines, cried in front of her while asking her to just stop. It was quite the scene. More like a horror film that lasted all. Day. Long. Then I put the girls to bed and breathed a great big sigh of relief. Not even two minutes later I am missing them and secretly hoping at least one of them will wake up to keep me company. For me to hold them and tell them that I am sorry for not being a great mother and promise them that I will do better tomorrow. Thank heavens for tomorrows and being able to fix what we did wrong today. Tomorrow is a new start. Tomorrow will come and she won’t remember how ugly I was today, at least I hope not. She won’t hold it against me and will wake up in the morning happy to climb in my bed and play.

Tomorrow will be a better day. I will be more patient. I will play more and remember to laugh more instead of getting upset at the small things. Tomorrow I will kiss her more and hug her more. Tell her I love her more and show her how great life really is with her around. Play more, explore more, discover more, be more. Raising a two year old is rough stuff. 

Is there any magic cures/potions for moms to become better overnight?!






3 comments:

  1. Jayme, we have all been there! I have been there more than I would like to admit. Something that helps me a lot though, is hanging up little reminders. I have a chalk board in my kitchen and I use it to write sayings, "A person's a person, no matter how small" or even just one word "LISTEN." I change it up often so I always have something new to remember or work on. Two year olds can be really really hard to deal with. Once your two get older and they can play with each other more, it will get a lot easier. I PROMISE. a website that has changed my life is http://www.positive-parents.org/ It really helped me to understand my kids more and be more in tune with their needs. I also read two books that really helped, "Talk so Your Kids will Listen" by Faber and "Adventures in Gentle Discipline." but that website has most of the tips that both those books will give you....NOt trying to add something to your list of things to do, but having a VERY spirited child myself, I just wanted to point you in the direction of some really good resources.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can relate more than you know :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm going through the same thing, except for me it didn't start until T turned 3. I feel like I want to rip out my hair OFTEN. And, C does whatever he does- so its like she's learning early on how to be terrible. I don't have much wisdom on this subject, because I'm struggling too, but something that helps a lot is focusing on the relationship between my two children. I may not feel that they listen or acknowledge me, but they certainly love one another. When I see them snuggle or share or play together, I am reminded that I must be doing something right. :) It's a comforting thought. And the relationship that your girls have now will only get stronger and sweeter with time. love you Jayme!

    ReplyDelete