Saturday, May 5, 2012

If you came to my house right now you would have thought that Cody and Ellenor had a really rough morning. They are both out cold! But in reality, they had an easy morning of playing in the car together while they supported me.

If I haven't mentioned one of my goals for this year is to run a race every month in 2012. Today was that lucky day in May. Well Ellenor decided that playing sounded a lot more fun than sleeping last night and didn't want to stay asleep. When we finally rolled out of bed this morning we listened to the wind outside. Being completely exhausted and going for a run in 40 degree weather with 20 mph winds did not sound very appetizing and I was honestly tempted to just get my shirt and leave.

I am so, SO glad that I didn't. Cody was nice enough to come and hangout with me for a few minutes before the race during registration but returned to the car with Ellie before it even started. Waiting alone is THE worst thing ever. Everyone else knows someone and here you are standing by yourself just waiting. And waiting. I had the opportunity to experience that on St. Patrick's day and never again will I allow that, even if I am running alone.

At the starting line you are supposed to line up according to how fast you are going to run. The fastest in the front and the slowest in the back. Three ladies got right in front of me just as the race was about to start and they just happened to be walkers. It took me a little bit to be able to maneuver around them but once I got going I passed quite a few people and was feeling good.

The first mile for me is the best, I have the most energy and am really "in the zone." The wind was blowing against us for the first mile and thank heavens it was. I doubt if I would have ran the entire thing if I had the wind against me the entire second half.


The first mile was paved and then it turned onto a gravel road. But it wasn't gravel as much as it was sand! The half way point was a good sized hill, it wasn't very long but it sure was steep. I watched as everyone in front of me walked once they hit the hill and knew immediately that I was going to run it. I even passed a few people ON THE HILL!!! By this point we had switched directions and was headed back toward where we started with the wind pushing from behind. I was jamming out to my ipod the entire time and even started dancing a little bit around 2 1/2 miles, that is usually the point where I feel like I am about to die.

Anyways, I finished the race strong and was able to sprint to the finish line. My finishing time was 32 minutes 38 seconds. I ran the entire thing and was so proud of myself. I am not running to make me look like an athlete or to show people that I can run. I am running because of the way it makes me feel. And I love feeling so good.


I used to hate having pictures taken of me. I used to try to hide behind people or only have pictures of my face, I would even crop pictures because I was so embarrassed. But I don't feel that way anymore. I am obviously still self conscious but not nearly as much as I used to be. I actually want pictures of me now, especially with my family. And not just pictures of my face. For once in my life I feel proud of myself and am proud of what I have done and am doing because I am proving to myself that I can do difficult things.

3 comments:

  1. way to go jayme! i need to start running. your progress is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wooo! You rock Jayme! I need to run more too! ugh...

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's awesome! You're doing so great and i'm so impressed :)

    ReplyDelete