The Searle household lives for fall. The colors, change in weather, layers upon layers of clothing and blankets, the smell of harvest (but not all the crazy fast trucks driving by at mock 5). I love living in Idaho specifically for the fall.
But this weekend we watched Holiday Inn (only the best black and white movie ever). I woke up thinking about where to put the Christmas tree and what size snow boots to buy Ellie. And that's when it hit me.
There will be no snow this Christmas. The chances of it actually snowing in December are slim and when it does it rarely sticks. I miss real Christmases. Alaskan Christmases. Where no matter what there is guaranteed at least 3 feet of snow plastered to the ground. The odds of being able to sit snuggled on the couch reading a book with only the lights of the tree and snow falling silently outside. Sledding every weekend. Unlimited supply of hot chocolate that actually gets used.
Snowball fights. Christmas caroling and running from the car to the door singing as fast as you can an running back because it is below zero. Bundling up in hats, scarfs, and gloves just to run to the mall for last minute shopping.
But mostly I miss my family in Alaska. Grandma and grandpas house for Christmas dinner. The nice china, linens, and sparkling cider. Sitting and talking as snowing is slowly gliding to the ground right outside the big windows. The smell of fresh powder on the ground mixed with the warmth of cinnamon candles burning inside.
I miss Alaska. I miss that ol' house where we sat on the stairs waiting for the clock to strike to be able to see what "Santa" had brought. Breakfast casseroles and endless amounts of stocking candy. Puppy trying to eat all of that candy and occasionally succeeding.
So basically if anyone wants to donate air plane tickets for me to show Cody how Christmas is really done, with the snow and all, we will by more than willing to accept them.


i miss alaska christmas like no other! i hate this stupid lack of snow. i loved visiting your house at christmas, your mom always had the prettiest decorations! i just miss having a good snowy christmas.
ReplyDelete